Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Adventures on the Highway

It's funny that a few blogs ago, I was commenting on how amazing this year was going to be. And so far, 26 days now of being 27, there have been quite a few incidents. I wanted to share the latest one.

Impulsively, a friend and I decided to drive to Birmingham to help another friend out last Thursday night. We left around 11 p.m. Our friend had a gig down there and kind of got stranded and needed to be back for work the next morning. I felt awake and good, so did my other friend. So we hit the road. Like Jack Kerouac. Except not as cool. Or dirty.

2 hours into the drive I got pulled over. Of course. My friend was shaking because she was nervous. I've been pulled over so many times now that police men don't really scare me as much as they make me mad. Well I decided to be honest. He asked me how fast I was going. I said 85, and it was because we were going to help a friend out in BHam. He told me I failed to yield. I was kind of just laughing to myself as he walked away. Unbelievable. Of course this would happen. When he came back to my car (because for some reason police take 30 minutes to write up a report) he asked me why my license was suspended. That is when the tears turned on. He told me he was "doing me a favor" by not towing my car, and not citing that I was speeding. And then he asked my friend if she was a maid, because some maid travelled back and forth from Tennessee to Alabama. I was sobbing.

When we finally got to the Ham, our other friend had been drinking. And he refused to come home with us. He laid down underneath a tree, and, after begging him to get in the car for 45 minutes or so, we left. We got home at 7:30. I fell asleep at 9 a.m.

What have I learned? NEVER travel through Alabama.

1 comment:

here comes moses said...

ugh. this is awful! pains me...on your behalf!!